Posting Date: February 18, 2016
Department for the Study of Religion
Faculty of Arts and Science
University of Toronto
JOB POSTING – SESSIONAL LECTURER
Course Number and Title:
RLG230H1F Religion and Public Life
Course description:Course examines various issues: the role of religions in public, political contexts, such as religion and secularism in democratic societies; religion, human rights, and law; religion and state power; the political nature of religious social structures, religion and the politics of gender and sexuality; interreligious conflict and alliances.
Estimated course enrolment: 40
Estimated TA support: based on enrollment
Schedule: Monday and Wednesday 6:00-8:00 pm
Sessional Appointment dates: May 1, 2016 – June 30, 2016
Salary: : $7,268.22 per FCE for Sessional Lecturer I, $7,405.93 for Sessional Lecturer I Long Term $7,727.26 for Sessional Lecturer II, $8,084.30 for Sessional Lecturer III
Please note that should rates stipulated in the collective agreement vary from rates stated in this posting, the rates stated in the collective agreement shall prevail.
- Ph.D. in Religion/Religious Studies or related discipline, or Ph.D. advanced candidacy, with significant graduate work and ongoing professional/academic development in the area preferred;
- Evidence of superior teaching ability, in the form of prior teaching evaluations and, in the case of instructors who have not yet taught, TA evaluations required;
- Teaching and/or TA experience in an equivalent course preferred.
Duties: Include presenting four hours of lectures a week; conducting tutorials; grading papers and exams; and other pedagogical and administrative tasks associated with an undergraduate course.
Closing date: March 11, 2016
Applicants should submit
(1) a current curriculum vitae,
(2) evidence of teaching ability (e.g., summarized course evaluations, letters of reference, etc.) and
(3) A CUPE 3902 Unit 3 application form, available in PDF or RTF format at http://www.hrandequity.utoronto.ca/resources/forms.htm#recruitment
Application should be addressed to Professor Frances Garrett Department for the Study of Religion Room 310, 170 St. George Street. M5R 2M8. Please send a copy of your applications as a single pdf file by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read Summer 2016 Unit 3 Positions
Please note: Undergraduate or graduate students and postdoctoral fellows of the University of Toronto are covered by the CUPE 3902 Unit 1 collective agreement rather than the Unit 3 collective agreement, and should not apply for positions posted under the Unit 3 collective agreement.
Preference in hiring is given to qualified individuals advanced to the rank of Sessional Lecturer II or Sessional Lecturer III in accordance with Article 14;12.
This job is posted in accordance with the CUPE 3902 Unit 3 Collective Agreement.