Posting Date: April 13, 2015
Department for the Study of Religion
Faculty of Arts and Science
University of Toronto
JOB POSTING – SESSIONAL LECTURER
Course Number and Title:
RLG231H1S Religion and Science
Course description: Course explores issues at the intersection of religion and science which may include such topics as evolution and the assessment of its religious significance by different traditions, conceptions of God held by scientists (theism, pantheism, panentheism), ethical issues raised by scientific or technological developments ( cloning or embryonic stem cell research), philosophical analysis of religious and scientific discourses.
Estimated course enrolment: 40
Estimated TA support: based on enrollment
Schedule: Monday and Wednesday 10:00-12:00 noon
Sessional Appointment dates: July 1, 2015-August 31, 2015
Salary: $7,196 .25 per FCE for Sessional Lecturer I, $7,332.60 for Sessional Lecturer I Long Term, $7,650.75 for Sessional Lecturer II, $8,004.25 for Sessional Lecturer III
Please note that should rates stipulated in the collective agreement vary from rates stated in this posting, the rates stated in the collective agreement shall prevail.
- Ph.D. in Religion/Religious Studies or related discipline, or Ph.D. advanced candidacy, with significant graduate work and ongoing professional/academic development in the area preferred;
- Evidence of superior teaching ability, in the form of prior teaching evaluations and, in the case of instructors who have not yet taught, TA evaluations required;
- Teaching and/or TA experience an equivalent course preferred.
Duties: Include presenting four hours of lectures a week; conducting tutorials; grading papers and exams; and other pedagogical and administrative tasks associated with an undergraduate course.
Closing date: May 4, 2015
Applicants should submit
(1) a current curriculum vitae,
(2) an outline of the course, method of evaluation, and required textbook(s),
(3) evidence of teaching ability (e.g., summarized course evaluations, letters of reference, etc.) and
(4) A CUPE 3902 Unit 3 application form, available in PDF or RTF format at http://www.hrandequity.utoronto.ca/resources/forms.htm#recruitment
Application should be addressed to Professor Frances Garrett Department for the Study of Religion Room 310, 170 St. George Street. M5R 2M8. Please send a copy of your applications as a single pdf file by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read Summer 2015 Rlg & Science
Please note: Undergraduate or graduate students and postdoctoral fellows of the University of Toronto are covered by the CUPE 3902 Unit 1 collective agreement rather than the Unit 3 collective agreement, and should not apply for positions posted under the Unit 3 collective agreement.
Preference in hiring is given to qualified individuals advanced to the rank of Sessional Lecturer II or Sessional Lecturer III by the Department for the Study of Religion.
This job is posted in accordance with the CUPE 3902 Unit 3 Collective Agreement.